Friday, January 1, 2010

First night/morning in Japan



Well, finally in Tokyo. We arrived last night in Narita airport at about 6pm local time. The flight was long, but not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. It was very cramped; when I first sat down and thought "I'm going to spend 11 hours in here?" I was pretty sure I was going to need a xanex. I didn't end up getting claustrophobic at all, but I need have a lot of problems with my knee. That old soccer injury flared up from sitting so long and began to swell. I spend quite a bit in the lavatory stretching.

So with some sleep, some movies, and some reading, I survived the flight. The trip from the airport to Melissa's apartment was long and arduous. From the airport we took a hour long train ride, then transferred and took another twenty minute train ride before getting off. The train stops were full of STAIRS. Which was unpleasant when carrying 6 pieces of luggage. After getting off the train we walked about a mile to Melissa's apartment. I had to take several breaks because I am old and frail. But first we stopped at AmPm.

Today we're going to go to the imperial palace to see the emperor give his new year's address. Should be pretty cool, the only Emperor I've ever had any contact with is the black metal band.

No comments:

Post a Comment